Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Is Social Networking a Waste of Time. Pg 68.

I do not think social networking is a waste of time at all. Yes people including myself get on it way too much during the day but that is only hurting us. When they talk about students being on it during the school day or during a lecture that is there own responsibility. They are there to learn but if they want to take the risk of being on social media all day and not get anything out of the school day that is there choice not the teachers. It is only affecting them and no one else. Having a twitter or a Facebook is nowhere near a waste of time. It is a place to connect with friends and family and that is what most of today's population uses it for. I feel like when people including teachers or a school board member talks about social media it is always directed to the kids. If you think about it a lot of parents and school board members themselves are on social media daily also. When talking about this so to be "problem" why only direct it to the 13 to17 year old  range of kids. Nine out of every ten people who have a smart phone or a computer have a social media site that they tend to check every so often. Towards the end of the reading it talks about how with social media the good outweighs the bad and in some cases it can help out creativity. Just think if there was no such thing as social networking I couldn't do half the things I do in school today such as submitting a paper, getting assignments online, and viewing notes from classes. I think social media is a great thing we have and the bigger it gets more power to us.

1 comment:

  1. I believe the issue moving forward is to limit time spent on social networks and for adults to lead by examples. I know that when I am at home with my children (even though they are only toddlers) I try not to play on my phone much in front of them. It is not a habit that I want them to emulate one day.

    ReplyDelete